Sunday 13 October 2013

Biltong

It's been a while since my last post. Time has been gobbled up with various family commitments (including watching my daughter run the Great North Run) and attending a course at the School of Artisan Food on Curing and Smoking.

On the course we made Duck Procuitto (still drying), pressed Ox Tongue, Ham Hock Terrine and Biltong. The Biltong was quite easy to prepare, just takes a while to dry... Now our daughter is back at university I've commandeered her bedroom as the drying room as it's probably the coolest in the house.

After 10 days I put the drying Biltong in the oven to finish it off. As we used sirloin steak in nice chunky strips I've (not by my planning!) ended up with some Biltong that is nicely dry on the outside but retains a tad of moisture on the inside otherwise it'd be like chewing the soles of my shoes.

I suppose Biltong is a bit like Marmite, I love it but I've discovered a number of people who don't. Ah well, more for those I've discovered who appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment